Sunday, April 28, 2013

Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences

I really enjoyed reading about Howard Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences because it takes into account other measures of intelligence other than just basing human intelligence on test scores.  His research in child development, brain damaged individuals, and extremely talented individuals, led him to expand the categories of intelligence well beyond the traditional theories of linguistic, logical-mathematical, and spatial categories.  Humans are all unique individuals with unique talents, and intelligence should not be based solely on how well we do at language and mathematical skills.  The world would be such a boring place if this was the case.  I like how the authors used Carlos Santana as an example of an exceptional guitar player, representing the musical intelligence category, and Oprah Winfrey representing the interpersonal and intrapersonal intelligence categories.  Can you imagine the world without music?  I can't!  Oprah's show and her magazine have helped so many people learn about their strengths and weaknesses ( including myself), plus she has really reached out to other countries, like Africa, where she established a school for girls, so they could become educated, in order to have a better life.  I think that everyone of us falls into one of these nine categories (if not more), and that's what makes the world such a diverse, creative, entertaining place.  Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences seems to make common sense to me; we are all human beings and our unique talents and gifts that we offer individually to the world, come together collectively, whether it's to entertain us, teach us, or inspire us. 

3 comments:

  1. i totally agree. i loved how gardner's theory was more about who the person really is, instead of what a math or any other test might show. i too liked the connection with oprah and carlos santana. it really intrigued me, considering i have actually heard of these people, and made it easier (and funner) to follow! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree. I really enjoyed reading that he based intelligence on all aspects of a person, or of their specific talents. When I think of intelligence I think of someone being great at one or more thing. Whether it's music, math, or being a chatter box and showing off their social skills, it all counts in my book. I think people who are able to master any (or more) of those 9 categories is greatly intelligent and shouldn't be discouraged that they can't do math like nobody's business or write a novel that millions want to read. Individuality is key and this theory shows that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in agreement also. We are all so unique even when we're raised in the same settings. I think Gardner's theory makes complete sense. Obviously we can't all be great at everything, although some people are close:) I have found that there is usually something about someone that I find interesting or admirable. Even though I may not be great at math or fixing the washer when it breaks down, thank God someone else can.

    ReplyDelete