Monday, April 8, 2013

Human Development

     I realize that there are many factors that contribute to human development after reading through all the different theories in Chapter 1.  My personal belief is that psychological forces and sociocultural forces are the two most important ones.  I know that biological forces play a big role as well, but as noted in the text, certain lifestyle factors like a healthy diet and exercise plan can overcome different conditions or health issues of the body.
    The reason I believe psychological forces and sociocultural forces are so important is because in life our environment can impact our emotions either positively or negatively.  If everything is positive, that's great!  However, if negative situations or events are happening around us, I feel we have a choice, we can either succumb to them and become an emotional wreck or we can choose to rise above the situation.  My motto is: it's not the situation, it's how you react to the situation.  If you can change your thinking about something you can change your life.  Looking at a negative situation or event with a different perspective can be enlightening.  You could ask yourself questions like "What can I learn from this experience?" or "How will this help me grow and develop into a stronger, more confident person?"  It's a good thing to know that you are the one that ultimately can control your emotions and not the other way around, where you let your emotions control you.  If you know you can change your thinking at anytime, you will develop into a strong person with a positive attitude and be able to handle anything that life throws your way!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you on this you yourself make the decisions to better your life. Others that are around you should not be held responsible for changing your ways. Only you can control your reactions and thinking in a positive way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you as well. When I was growing up, my mother would always say "Think positive and positive things will come". Now, I know that doesn't work for all situations, but it's a pretty good place to start. Thinking negatively about every situation you encounter is only going to make things a little harder on yourself. I think, as long as you are evaluating the situation for a positive, "problem solving", point of view, and not a negative, "I can't get past this", attitude, it will help you overcome things a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I certainly agree with this! It's all in how you react to the situation. What occurs to me, though, is that my understanding of "what a person can handle" is limited by "what I personally can handle." Sometimes, people close to me are struck low by something I think they should have no problem with; sometimes, people breeze through situations that would destroy me. I don't think it's just a question of willpower, or choice; I think people are fundamentally equipped in different ways.

    I work (part-time) with developmentally disabled adults, and I'll find myself walking someone through an everyday sort of trauma over and over, and each time I think "dude, this isn't so bad." What I notice here: I SHOULD KNOW BETTER, of COURSE their reaction to the situation is affected by their biology; I'm trained to understand that. But for my gut reaction, it doesn't matter. I still think, "why won't you get over this?"

    I think that my frame of reference for "what a person should be able to handle" is more rigid than I mean it to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely have to agree with you. i can think of numerous situations something wouldn't be going right with my life, for a little bit i catch myself feeling 'down' and under the weather, but in all reality (and i always tell myself) "it could be worse!". Once i get over that, and get my mind set, i know that in the end it will eventually make me stronger.

    ReplyDelete