Monday, May 27, 2013

Coping with unemployment

This week I decided to write my blog on the topic of coping with unemployment from Chapter 12 in the textbook.  This is something that so many people are having to deal with because our economy has taken a turn for the worse - businesses and corporations are downsizing and there's a lack of work for many different trades.  I, personally, found this subject interesting because both my husband and myself were laid off  from work, so, we have first-hand experience at what it feels like to have good paying jobs and then all of a sudden they're gone.  What I'm wondering about is when will this economy finally turn around and unemployment rates drop?  I would also like to know more about how we as a society can bring this change about, so we can get people back to work! 

I wish the authors would have gone into more detail about how it affects every aspect of your life, including your children's lives, as well.  I did like the advice they gave on page 442, about how to manage occupational transitions; basically, they were saying analyze your situation, come up with a plan, and take action, don't wallow in pity and feel helpless.  This approach is pretty much the way I'm trying to deal with my situation;  I accepted the fact that I was unemployed, came up with a plan to go back to school to become and RN, and here I am, taking my prereqs and working part-time.  It hasn't been easy though, because before I got laid-off  I managed a store for the Washington State Liquor Control Board, was making $20 an hour and had great health and retirement benefits.  Then people voted to privatize spirits and we had to dismantle our whole agency by June 1st of last year.  This past December would have been 9 years that I worked for the state;  I started as a clerk and worked my way up to manager. 

In spite of my loss, I have decided to look at it as an opportunity to reinvent myself  and get a better career.  What piqued my curiosity was how these two chapters really tied into my life right now, not only dealing with a lay-off, but also the timing of it, because both my husband and I will be turning the big 50 this August!   When we should be thinking about retirement, we instead, have to think about starting over in middle age, so  I would really like to research other couples that this has happened to and see how they've adjusted and what kinds of attitudes they had about it.  Anyway, that's my story! 

6 comments:

  1. The way unemployment affects your children - that's a really good point, the book didn't go into it much. Parents try to provide a stable and calm environment for their children to grow up in, and sometimes that means shielding them from grown-up concerns. I had a lengthy stretch of unemployment about ten years back, and I wouldn't have had much strength to give to a child - I'm grateful I wasn't responsible for one then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you say you had children this effected? I missed that. Anyway, I give you kudos for getting out there and doing it all again. It's not easy going back to school and starting on a whole new path. It's really frustrating to see all of the displaced workers having to start anew but at the same time sometimes change is good. I really believe that for myself everything happens for a reason and sometimes we are put into uncomfortable situations that force us to do something different. I'm sorry about the loss of such a great job. It sounds like you really put a lot into it. Maybe nursing is your next chapter and the impact you will have on other's lives will be amazing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your reply. Yes, this did affect my daughters, because they were covered under my health insurance plan when I worked for the state, so both of them as well as myselflost our health insurance coverage, not to mention any additional funds to help them out with other things they might need. I totally agree with you that everything happens for a reason and I am looking forward to a great career in nursing!

      Good luck to you, as well!

      Delete
  3. wow im sorry about your loss of the job. it is almost like a blessing in disguise, now you have the opportunity to take the next step, to try something different, which will most likely benefit you in the future. It is a harsh world out there having to deal with unemployment. my last employer went on a rampage, letting people go left and right, because there was a budget cut and what not. I saw that opportunity to look for a new job before they came to me (not that i was worried about losing my job) but now i have a better job, closer to home, so i really cant complain. I was able to get out of my other job just in time. good luck in your schooling and future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your words of encouragement! I just have to believe that everything happens for a reason! I'm glad you found a better job before you were laid off! Good luck to you, too!

      Thanks for replying!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete